Easy as PI (Raspberry)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Easy as PI (Raspberry)

Post by Briangw6wtk on Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:47 pm

Hi all
For the past couple of weeks I've been playing with the new wonder-PC called a 'Raspberry PI' with the intention of using it to run my simplex link in Caerphilly (MB6IRL).

It works perfectly, no longer do I have to run a pc or even have cables dangling everywhere, the PI sits in a plastic box on top of the node radio and is configured to automatically start and connect to the ircDDBGateway through a wireless dongle and 'bingo' it's up and running.

I’ve also done exactly the same for a DVAP dongle for Bob (MW0RBL), so: all you have is aplastic box (the DVAP) sat on top of another (slightly larger Plastic box) AND THAT's IT!!! with the power cord of course, plug it in anywhere within range of your Wifi router and turn-it-on.

Next project is to use the sound card interfacing potential, hopefully then it can connect directly to an FM radio with data connector and way-to-go.

If anyone wants any help to get up-and-running, or even a pre-configured SD card to their own spec, the feel free to contact me through this forum.

Brian GW6WTK

Briangw6wtk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Easy as PI (Raspberry)

Post by MW3ZKP on Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:40 pm

Robin is writing software for our smartphones to enable us to use our dvap's and dongles on them Very Happy

MW3ZKP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Briangw6wtk on Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 pm

Smartphones and DVAP/Dongles, sounds very interesting.

Briangw6wtk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Briangw6wtk on Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:56 pm

Youtube videos for Raspberry PI and DVAP, also Raspberry PI and simplex node.

More to come shortly!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8J11Vp_mfA&feature=youtu.be To see the DVAP

http://youtu.be/LmCu7N7kwNc To see the simplex node (MB6IRL)

Membership required to view directly from this site, membership is free: please register using your callsign if possible.

Briangw6wtk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Easy as Pi Raspberry

Post by Guest on Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:26 pm

Those of you running Raspberry Pi with ircddbgateway from DL5DI's apt repo may wish to save your log files to a USB stick instead of the SD card.
These files including ircddbgateway,repeater,Header,Link,starnet logs and also dvtool files if you wish to save incoming audio from RF
can rapidly take up a lot of space and require frequent housekeeping activities

1.See /etc/fstab for mounting info and add the line

/dev/sda /media vfat auto,users,noatime,umask=0 0 0

this will automount usb device sda on /media with read/write permissions for all users
My stick identifies as sda but YMMV, change the line to suit

2.Now you need to change the logging path this is easily done by running /home/opendv/ircddbgateway/ircddbgw_conf
Select option 15 and change the log path to /media

3.Similarly run /home/opendv/repeater/repeater_conf option 4 and enable RF audio recording if you wish

Lastly install the usb stick and reboot.

From the command line confirm that the stick is mounted
#df -l

Will list all mounted devices like this

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs 1863512 1432548 336348 81% /
/dev/root 1863512 1432548 336348 81% /
tmpfs 18812 208 18604 2% /run
tmpfs 5120 0 5120 0% /run/lock
tmpfs 37624 0 37624 0% /tmp
tmpfs 10240 0 10240 0% /dev
tmpfs 37624 0 37624 0% /run/shm
/dev/mmcblk0p1 57288 34832 22456 61% /boot
/dev/sda 507916 20 507896 1% /media

If you see the last line all is OK

Last edited by G4FHN on Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Simplified the procedure)

Back to top Go down

Post by Briangw6wtk on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:05 pm

Hi Bob and all
That sounds like a great alternative to storing logs on the SD card and then shifting them every now and again. On a busy reflector on busy day, there are many entries in the log files and SD cards have a limited number of times they can be written to. Although this number is very very high (I've not done the maths here), I was thinking of avoiding it altogether myself.

What I'm playing with at the moment is a couple of scripts that will create a small 'ramdisk' on startup and then start the applications using the commandline parameters that will point the -logdir to the ramdisk. Then a simple scipt run in cron.daily will write them to a network share or webspace, I'm currently experimenting with some webspace. This is very much in it's infancy but still working fine, the whole point of running an R-PI is so you don't have to run a PC 24/7. Most of us have some webspace as part our ISP deal, but if not an 8Mb ramdisk could store a week's logs and the script could be modified to cache the logs and check a local share on an hourly basis then move the logs from ramdisk if the connection is available.

73's
Brian
gw6wtk

Briangw6wtk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 2:05 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top