Improving your chances of connection.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Improving your chances of connection.

Post by Briangw6wtk on Fri May 01, 2009 2:46 pm

Hi all
I have struggled for a while to connect/disconnect GB7CD to and from the reflectors, most of my use is mobile and not in particularly good RF spots for CD. My average success rate was about 10%, it was very hit-and-miss. Recently I have experimented with the way I have been trying to connect/disconnect, normally I have the radio in 'DUAL' mode with one side of the radio tuned to our local VHF FM box (GB3BC).

I have recently discovered that if I swithch to 'SINGLE' mode, my success shoots up to about 90% or better. I cannot fully explain any convincing technical reason for this but can confirm that it does drastically improve things. Following on from this I have tried various combinations, it is better in 'DUAL' mode if both sides of the radio are in the UHF band??, but overall 'SINGLE' is better.

Or is this obvious to everyone else and I have been a total dummy all along??

73 Brian Very Happy

Briangw6wtk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Improving your chances of connection.

Post by MW0RUH on Fri May 01, 2009 6:09 pm

I read somewhere that in the earlier versions of the radio's Software there was an issue on dual mode in relation to operating, this was up until a certain serial number and manufacturing date when the firmware was updated.

As I am aware that you have two 2820's, try the same tests on both and also do a look up on the net for the latest frimware and how to check your version against it.

As our radio's arrived at the same time, when i did my check firmware was up to date but who know's Icom may have had mixed stock!!

Also have many fingers available as the firmware check requires the most ambidextrous combination of button pushes I have ever encountered, on grounds of health and safety, strap yourself in a chair so you don't lose your balance.

DAI

MW0RUH
Admin

View user profile http://www.2w0ruh.me.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Briangw6wtk on Tue May 05, 2009 5:42 pm

OK Dave
Thanks for reply, I had already checked the firmware 0.7, which is the latest version I believe?

Many thanks Brian

Briangw6wtk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 2:03 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top